I use Hubzilla mainly as a digital diary. It has been running stable on a Raspberry Pi (version 3 by now), which is also my media center (Kodi
), radio player (MPD
, for listening to Studio Brussel
through shoutcast) and backup server (Samba with Unison
). It’s quite a busy little bee, which makes it al the more impressive that it happily running along.
Within my (singIe user) Hubzilla hub I have multiple channels for multiple purposes:
- A personal channel that I use as a sort of diary. Depending on the subject I set a specific access group: I created a group Real friends for real live friends (Which despite having friends IRL is rather empty ). By default there is a group Friends for all connected acquaintances. Or I create a Public post for stuff I don’t mind the whole world to read (like this post). I use this personal channel as my main channel.
- Then I have a channel where I add links to songs I encounter on Youtube and Vimeo and the sorts. Kinda like bookmarking them. I use this channel as a public channel (as in: the default access group is Public)
- Ditto for recipes I found and tried. Also public.
So I need to switch between these channels when creating a post for a specific channel. For this I can go to the channel manager (behind the top left “channel” icon. and select the channel. Since some time however Hubzilla has the option to pin apps to the top bar. I just found out that I can create an "app" for my channels and pin them there, so I can switch to that channel with one click. This is what I did:
1. Hamburger menu (right top) > Add Apps
2. Manage apps
3. Create new app:
- Name of app: The name of the channel
- Location (URL) op app: The link that I got by copying the URL of the channel through the channel manager.
- Photo icon URL: The URL I got by copying the image location of the channel's icon
That creates the required "app". The only thing left is pinning
it to the top bar by selecting the pin icon of the app.
So, now with one click I can switch to this channel. To be able to switch back quickly I have to do the same in the other channel, where I create a app to my "main" channel.